8.05.2011

Music and Race Pt.1 {Material from upcoming Stand-up "Comedic Revival" 2011}

****Some of the more serious thoughts on music and race. More to come!****

People are always surprised by my taste in music. It's not everyday you see a black guy pull up next to you playing The Republic Tigers, Guster, My Morning Jacket, or Portugal. The Man. Sometimes In that order. I used to be guilty of changing my music to something more hardcore or turning it down altogether when I pulled up next to some people. make it seem like I'm a little more gangsta than I actually am. But music (or anything else for that matter) isn't something you can pigeonhole by race. For instance, say what you will about the song "Hey Ya" by Andre 3000/Outkast but I have heard multiple covers of the song since its release in 2003. Are they better than the original? Stop kidding yourself because that rarely (if ever) happens. It's just different. It's an interesting and newer take on how that song touched someone who may not use the same process as another artist. As such he is delivering it to an audience that otherwise never would have enjoyed it. I don't want to be stuck listening to Soulja Boy because he raps and I'm black and I listen to rap. I would rather listen to the "Reading Rainbow" theme song on a continuous loop to be honest. Besides the fact that is a great theme song, this is not to say Soulja boy isn't a nice person. I'm sure he's a very pleasant man. Nor am I saying that his music hasn't inspired someone else. It is just not the kind of music I would catch myself listening to by choice. no crime in that, right? The real fault is when someone tells me I should be listening to it because it is "my music." Well, with the key word being "choice" in my prior statement I'll choose what I listen to and what I find to be good music for me and my personality. This is not even saying I dislike hip-hop. I love hip-hop! But I should be allowed to listen to whatever else I want as well without getting dirty looks at traffic lights. There are a lot of people who classify things as either black or white music. That's crazy talk! I'm not a fan of Country music. In fact I can go as far as saying I won't be buying a country music album in my lifetime unless it was as a gift to someone. Even then I would probably just as soon buy a different gift. I do, however, respect what they do in their field of music and know for a fact that Blacks, Whites, Latins, Smurfs and anyone else who wants to listen to country music can listen and feel some sort of connection to it because music is universal. Tim McGraw is no less of an artist than Jay-Z and Nelly isn't less black for featuring him on a song. people with different views on their life are going to express those views differently. This notion that music is restricted to a color is a ridiculous one. Growing up my mom introduced me to Elton John's greatest hits. I now, with no shame or embarrassment, can sing just about all of his songs word for word. That makes me feel happy and accomplished. It probably makes you feel uncomfortable and confused. The point is don't let someone bind you to a particular thing for any reason, especially race.

Music gets me through it:
William Fitzsimmons-More Here: http://www.williamfitzsimmons.com/



Kanye: http://kanyewest.com/
The Republic Tigers: http://www.therepublictigers.com/

2 comments:

  1. Pretty awesome stuff here, bro. I for one am familiar with that look of "WTF are you doing listening to that white man's music, sista" from passersby as I proudly blared my Citizen Cope album, ad nauseum.

    Thanks again for that introduction by the way.

    I've never heard of these Tiger people, but they sound pretty cool from this track—may have to give them a gander.

    As for myself, I'm still digging the hip-hop more often than not, "The Cool Kids" might be a group for you to check into, seriously, as their sound is quite a break from the all-bass, no lyric, just hooks hip-hop that has become an epidemic.

    Also, Tyga has some nice tracks, and I'm hopelessy in love with Kendrick Lamar's "Section 80".

    Of course, I'm also crazy about Adele so, go figure.

    Our mama brought us up well, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when rock was young. :)

    Good taste is good taste. And I'd venture to say that any real musician or artist can and does appreciate both the early roots and influences on whatever type of music they make as well as how those lines between blur and blend each genre. Well do I remember falling in love with the juxtaposition of rap/rb and classical that is "Gangster's Paradise."

    Music should be like people--they should mix and reproduce with others so as to avoid too much inbreeding! If they don't, you end up with songs like "Mmmmmmbop" and the gummy bear song. :)

    ReplyDelete