7.24.2011

My Top 10 Comedians

  1. Richard Pryor
  2. Bill Cosby
  3. George Carlin
  4. Chris Rock
  5. Johnny Carson
  6. Dave Chappelle
  7. Ellen Degeneres
  8. Steve Martin
  9. Eddie Murphy
  10. Lenny Bruce

I know quite a few people will give me some trouble for some of these picks. That's okay. A lot of times my opinions aren't based on one thing in regards to comedy. For starters my top five all made an impact that lasts on comedy to this day. After that are people I enjoy listening to and hearing what they have to say. Reading what they all write is something that cannot be understated either. I contest to this day that Ellen will always be funnier than Tina Fey ( even though I respect Tina very much). Richard Pryor was a game-changing comedian who I consider to be the G.O.A.T. He spawned a host of other comics like no one else and few others (Paul Mooney has to get some love here too) could turn personal tragedy and hardship into genius comedy like he could. I find myself getting lost in the genius of their words. Their thoughts are something that inspire me to want to be better and write material that means more than a cheap laugh. I think that is the best part about this group when speaking in terms of stand-up comedy. Cheap laughs weren't something they were out for. They experienced these things they're sharing and want you to know that its okay to laugh because they did.    Another thing all of these greats had was timing. Timing is key in stand-up and is the difference between being great at the art of stand-up comedy and falling flat on your face. Watching them deliver their jokes at just the right moment, and then delivering their next one so that the crowd doesn't have an opportunity to recover from the joke that was just delivered is something that can't really be described. They are all influences and said something important. I don't think that can be downplayed in the grand scheme of all things comedy.

Some of them at work:
Listen at your own risk. Discretion is ADVISED

Timing is everything. Thelonius Monk in his famous "Round Midnight" was, according to Dave Chappelle, the perfect example of being out of time, yet perfectly on time. I listen to it when I'm writing and I completely agree.
and for those who want to see Mr. Chappelle's attempt at the song go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hh9Ai1nxeo

1 comment:

  1. I would add Carol Burnette to the list, but that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete