7.22.2011

Getting Older {Material from upcoming Stand-up "Comedic Revival" 2011}

I embrace getting old and I mean that when I say it. I was a little reluctant to concede a step or two in the weekly tennis ladder or on the basketball court. I don't get as annoyed when 18 year-old kids call me "mini mid-life" when we play football. It’s funny because at 27 you start thinking about things differently. You start thinking about different life situations or scenarios than when you were a little younger. I have a lot of friends tell me things that sound strange. Things like "Dude I found a gray hair!" I respond the same way every time. "That is crazy! Remember when I lost all of mine?" I will admit it took me a little while to embrace the thought of getting older. Granted I'm not even 30 yet but 27, that’s like the junior year of your 20's. You're at the awkward stage of your 20’s. You're still young enough to do something stupid, but not young enough to still mull career options or sleep until noon.

27. I have to admit you start having these thoughts about your place in the world and how you're going to fit in. My friends call me crazy. They say the same thing, you know? "You aren't that old." But you have to think about these things now! Plus, they didn't just tweak a groin muscle driving. I think, if anything, that’s a legitimate reason. I used to think I was indestructible. I did crazy things as a kid. Crack my head on a wall after a big baseball win then get up and shake it off. Run around in marshes and swing from trees. That was easy. I used to bet my buddies who could jump from the roof of his house and onto the trampoline. Now in hindsight, it was really freaking awesome. You're not thinking about Consequences. Broken bones and concussions? Those are pit stops on the road to the ultimate hang time you're about to achieve. Now at 27 I have mortality staring me in the face. Not in the form of real death, but a 10-year high school reunion and coming to grips with the fact that maybe it isn't the angle that causes my slight snoring at night. Friends are having children and you're starting to wonder how their kids are talking and walking when they just showed up two days ago.

I do think about what I'm going to be like when I'm older. I don't want to be rant-y. I don't want to be that guy who’s always the neighborhood buzz-kill. You know that guy, right? Always like "come on guys, seriously, stop forking my yard." No! I want to be the old guy who gets his yard forked and then I saran wrap your kids’ car before he has to go to school. I want to be that old guy the neighborhood kids want to hold their lemonade stand signs. For no other reason than I like to make up my own dance moves. They're awesome. I'm sure they would sell a lot of lemonade. Because let’s face it sex sells. I want to be that little old man down the street who sabotages the yard of the month competitions every month. And even though you know it’s me, you just can't quite prove it. That's the old man I want to be. And I still want to be able to do the moonwalk. 




Here's to a happy Friday and being young! The Temper Trap


For more of their music go here: http://www.thetempertrap.com/ credit to Kody Chacon for the introduction to this band.

1 comment:

  1. "...I want to be that little old man down the street who sabotages the yard of the month competitions every month." You would sooooo be THAT guy! LOL

    ReplyDelete